An Affordable Way for Military Veterans to Buy Texas Land
When it comes to helping military veterans buy land, buy homes, and improve property, things really are bigger and better in Texas. The Texas VA Home Loan offers a fantastic way to pay tribute to our military veterans and set them up for peace and prosperity on Texas land of their own.
The Texas Veterans Land Board (typically referred to as VLB) finances land, home, and home improvement loans for Texas veterans and active military members, and is touted as the only state program of its kind in the U.S.
A division of the Texas Land Office, the Veterans Land Board was established after World War II as a means of assisting returning soldiers anxious to find land for sale, ranches for sale, and farms for sale across the Lonestar state.
Texas veterans, active duty personnel, and spouses of veterans may borrow up to $125,000 to purchase land at competitive interest rates, with a minimum 5% down payment for tracts of earth one acre or more. As of May 25, 2018, the current land loan interest rate was shown as 7.25%.
Texas Veterans Land Board Loan Requirements
To meet the criteria for VLB financing, the Texas land for sale must:
- Be completely within the state of Texas.
- Contain at least one acre, excluding any portion beneath a dedicated public roadway or navigable waterway or subject to frequent inundation or otherwise unusable.
- Have legal, usable access to a public road. Access must be a minimum of 60 feet wide or meet the county public road width requirements, whichever is greater. “Usable” means that it can be driven on by a standard passenger car in inclement weather.
- Not be zoned strictly for commercial use.
- Not have been owned by you or your spouse within the previous three years.
- Be properly described by either a Field Note description of the tract with the Surveyor’s Official Seal and Signature (original or copy), or a complete copy of the recorded subdivision plat if the description is by Lot & Block.
Land loans through the Texas VLB are ideal opportunities for veterans seeking farm land for sale, lots for sale in Texas, and even hunting land for sale from the Rio Grande to the panhandle, but the organization also focuses on helping veterans buy homes and even upgrade that real estate with home improvement loans.
Texas Veterans Board Home Loans
The VLB Veterans Housing Assistance Program offers eligible veterans home loans for Texas houses from Laredo to Waco to Dallas at a discounted interest rate, currently set (as of May 25, 2018) at 4.31% with a further discounted rate for eligible, disabled Texas home buyers at 3.81%. In most cases, little or no money down is required.
Home loans are available up to $417,000 with a fixed-rate loan for 15, 20, 25 or 30 year terms. Veterans with a VA service-connected disability rating of 30% or greater qualify for the discounted interest rate.
Texas Military Veterans Discounted Home Improvement Loans
The VLB provides up to $50,000 for a 20-year loan or up to $10,000.00 for a 10-year loan. Veterans with a VA service-connected disability rating of 30% or greater hold eligibility for the discounted interest rate.
Click Here for Home Improvement Loan Eligibility Requirements
Whether you’re searching for Texas lots for sale, farms for sale, or ranches for sale in Texas, you’ll currently discover some 178 available parcels of Texas earth right here on LandHub.
The Texas Veterans Board Land Loan program(s) are ideal ways for veterans and their families to secure quality Texas land at good interest rates with little money down. At LandHub.com, we’re proud to play a small role in helping our U.S. military men and women land the Texas land of their dreams.
Of course, it may be that a Texas veteran is still unable to qualify for loans for military veterans to buy Texas land. If that’s the case, contract-for-deed sales may be an option. See our recent post on contract-for-deed land opportunities.